Thursday, May 2, 2013

Farmers Market May 2

Today I think I went a little wild because last week I don't think I bought enough because I ran out of fresh stuff (mainly salad fixins) a few days ago.

I'm not gonna lie, I never thought that I would be someone who would crave salads, but oh momma, now that its hot out, they hit the right spot!

This week I bought multiple greens (and some purples;) for salads including red leaf lettuce, spring leaf red lettuce, and spinach. Im going to try a new green (I'll find the name of it and insert it in when I get it :) thats native to the desert, tons if health benefits in it the farmers told me.

I also bought bok choy and a giant cucumber from a new vendor which I'm excited for. Bok Choy was $1.50 and huge cucumber was .80 cents... Love those deals.

I bought amazing chard and kale to cook up with some grains too. Carrots are usually a must (they add soooo much flavor to stuff)

I'm a potato kinda gal so I made sure to get the reds and sweets again too.

And I got purple garlic! It's super pungent and spicy and sadly only the skin and husk are purple, but I like it! I'll buy more next week and maybe preserve some in mason jars with oil? Mmmm, garlicky oil.

Ideas floating around in my head:

Soup with Barley, Bok Choy and Shitake mushrooms

Stuffed chard with spicy rice and pumpkin seeds

Salads up the wazoo with a couple new homemade vinaigrettes, maybe I'll try strawberry/blueberry combo...

Pasta with fresh roasted tomatoes, basil, olive oil and roasted garlic

I'm thinking I should also try making a quiche this week... Spinach and lentil?

Mmmmmm...

Now I'm hungry! Haha.

















No comments:

Post a Comment